The MTBCoach MTB Race training plans are easy to follow and designed to produce your best result. Stack the Conditioning, Base and Build plans together for a season long plan. Contact us if you have any questions about which plan to choose or what’s best for you.
Our premade training plans are best if you can follow the schedule on your own with no guidance from a coach. You need to have a predictable schedule that allows you to follow the prescribed plan, typically Tue-Thru, Sat and Sun. Monday and Friday are usually rest days but may include core and stretching.
For feedback and analysis or a custom schedule then our coaching programs may be best for you.
All of our training plans are serviced by TrainingPeaks and are Structured Workout compatible with many devices and smart trainers. TrainingPeaks allows you to view your training plans in a web browser and the mobile app. You can use the free account with the training plan or use the premium account to track your training at a higher level.
We have a number of plans to choose from and it may be confusing to understand which one is right for you. All of our plans are put together by event type you are training for and you’ll be your best at after completion. Our plans are designed around the Periodization Training Phases. Each class of training plan has a Conditioning Plan, a Base Plan, a Build Plan and some have a 40+ (Masters) plans. See below understand which is right for you
Conditioning / Adaptation Plan
The Conditioning / Adaptation plan is about the Prep phase of periodization training phases. This is best if you are just getting started with training, had a long off season, starting back from an injury. Start this plan 30 weeks before your target event and 6 weeks before moving to the Base Plans.
The base plans are designed to create a strong aerobic fitness for your event type. This plan is for the Base phase of periodization training phases. The focus is generally longer endurance (aerobic) and short high intensity (anaerobic) workouts. The plans will prepare your body for the demands of the Build and Races phases. We recommend starting all base plans 24 weeks before the start of your target race. You can race during the base phase, however we wouldn’t expect you to be race ready. This is a good time to test fitness, hydration and fueling plans and experiment with race technique and strategy.
The build plans are designed to make you race ready adding race simulation sessions to your training plan. The build plan includes the Build, Race and Peak phase of periodization training phases. The focus includes improving sustainable power, peak power, lactic acid threshold, and V02Max. Start the build plans 12 weeks before your target event. Near the end this plan you will be your most fit and ready for your goal event. The plan is timed so your fitness is at its peak in the last one-two weeks of the plan. During this 12 week period is a good time to fine tune your race strategy, hydration and fueling needs for the target event.
40+ (Masters) Plans
In some cases we include plans for athletes ages 40 or more years old. The main difference with the 40+ (master) plans is that they include rest weeks every three weeks instead of every four.
There is not a hard line at 40 years old. A fit 40 year old may want to choose the standard plans until they reach the late 40’s or early 50’s. A 35 year old may want to use the master plans if they feel they need more rest and recovery because for risk of injury or being ultra conservative. Athletes in the mid to late 50’s should consult the coach for additional advice for optimal performance.
Choose a plan for your event
- MTB Stage Race Training Plans
- Gravel Race Training Plans
- 100k MTB Race Training Plans
- 100 Mile MTB Training Plans
- MTB Cross Country (XC) Training Plans
- Cyclocross (CX) Training Plans
Use discount code mtbcoach10 to save 10% on any training plan purchased through our site. Discount does not apply when purchased through trainingpeaks.
All Training Plans include the following:
- 12 weeks of workouts with well written description
- Workouts are online via website or mobile app with TrainingPeaks
- Daily email reminder with detailed workouts.
- Structured Workout device compatible. Workouts can be exported for use with devices and apps. Learn More
- Workouts built for use with a Power Meter, Heart Rate Monitor or Perceived Exertion
- Plan includes field tests for FTP and Lactic Threshold Heart Rate Test (LTHR)
- Access to our private Facebook group and get expert advice on training, racing and equipment choices. You can also interact with other members for their advice and experience.
- MTBCoach Nutrition Guide and Meal Plan available for $20
- The MTBCoach Training and Racing Handbook, which includes information about how to use the training plan, execute workouts, nutrition, rest and recovery and much more.
For the best results stack the Conditioning (optional), Base and Build plans for a total of 24-30 weeks of training. See Our Training Plans for more detail.